Dual Battery Questions.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

coachclay

Dual Battery Questions.

#1 Post by coachclay » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:11 pm

My toon came with a Blue Sea 6007 Switch but it only came with one battery so it was all wired in to one battery.

I want to wire it into 2 batteries using the same switch and this diagram
http://www.bluesea.com/products/6007/m- ... itch_-_Red

I plan on running a dual purpose and a starting battery. I'll mostly need power for running a stereo and small amp at anchor. Question is there a way to charge both batteries when underway? Also which battery should be number 1 and which should be number 2?

rob28

Re: Dual Battery Questions.

#2 Post by rob28 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:26 pm

That switch pictured above does not allow you to differentiate between house and motor loads. Notice that the top red line is common and the switch position does not change that. All the switch does is select which battery you are using. Neither, #1, #2 or both.
So having a deep cycle battery and a starting battery is a moot point with this switch.
If you really wanted to have separate circuits, you would need a different switch (2 pole) which would allow you to separate the 2 circuits but still combine them at the flip of a switch - or with an auto relay which will combine them for charging when it see's a set voltage reached.
The Blue Sea add-a-battery is a common solution in this scenario and it's what I installed on my boat a couple of years ago.

edit - in response to your original question, you would be able to charge both with your switch if it is set to both/combined. But do not switch it from combined to #1 or #2 on the run as this may fry engine electrics.
When stopped, just select #2 and run that for stereo, livewell, fridge etc. When ready to go, put it back to combined and it will hopefully start. If not, just select #1 to get underway and you'll have to manually charge #2 - this is where the auto relay comes in very handy.
Used to be a 2013 Sylvan Mirage Cruise 8520 LE powered by a Merc 50 Bigfoot.
Now we have a 2019 Sylvan Mirage 8522 DLZ LE powered by a Yamaha VF150..
2010 F-150 4.6L to haul it around.
You'll find us enjoying life on the Wabigoon.

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:51 pm

I have the standard radio/cd and it's not a particularly powerful unit. We don't sit for hours and hours in the same place with 250 Watts and a SubWoofer. Therefore, I don't think a second battery is required.

Another option to 2 batteries is to carry a jump box with a battery available at Walmart or any auto parts store. It can get you running if there's any problem, and some come with small air compressors that can be used to pump up water toys and inner tubes.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

JNorris79

#4 Post by JNorris79 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:22 am

I have a similar switch in my new boat. What would the downfall of leaving it in the both position at all times? Sorry if this answer is obvious, but my previous boats all only had one battery.
2015 Crest II 230 SLE Tritoon
115 Mercury CT
Strakes and Underskinning

jrolin1

#5 Post by jrolin1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:08 am

JNorris79 wrote:I have a similar switch in my new boat. What would the downfall of leaving it in the both position at all times? Sorry if this answer is obvious, but my previous boats all only had one battery.
The downside is a problem with a battery or system could discharge the other one and leave you with none. I have a similar setup and leave it on one or the other just to make sure each one is topped off.

Palazzoblues

#6 Post by Palazzoblues » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:55 am

All you need is one of these http://www.amazon.com/PAC-PAC-200-200-A ... y+isolator THis will isolate your "stereo/amp" battery provided you wire your amp and head unit and anything else you want separated from your starting battery. This will prevent you from running your starting battery down while you are are not running engine. When you run your engine the alternator will charge both a batteries.