Berkshire experience?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

68dodgeramman

Berkshire experience?

#1 Post by 68dodgeramman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

I'm looking at a Berkshire 220CL Limited. I was just wondering if anyone had any input for me on this brand as I've never had any experience with it. I mean can I expect a good quality and a long lasting boat. I was also thinking of having it fitted with a 115hp Evinrude E-Tec. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

http://www.palmettoboatcenter.com/Catal ... &Item=1630
2014 Xcursion X23RF "Tooned Out"
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

cbavier

Re: Berkshire experience?

#2 Post by cbavier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 am

Here's the scoop on it. Looks pretty classy to me. I notice on the better made Pontoons the rails for the fence are all on the inside. That's really about the only difference I see between my 29 year old pontoon and the new ones. Well not really but the major difference as far as appearance goes. Mine is a 1982 with new furniture. It floats and runs and is paid for. I do plan on new carpet this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24589494@N ... 681085300/

http://www.foothillsboats.com/CatalogPr ... &Item=1630
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

68dodgeramman

#3 Post by 68dodgeramman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Chuck. They look like a pretty nice toon from pics and info online. But it'd still be nice to have some firsthand experience. I haven't even sign one myself yet, lol. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, been working like a dog lately.
2014 Xcursion X23RF "Tooned Out"
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

slingshot

#4 Post by slingshot » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:42 am

I think Berkshire has only been making pontoons for 2 years or so. The mother company is Forest River who's been making RV's and such since 1996. It's funny how the Berkshire web site makes is seem that Berkshire Pontoons have been around since 1996. As a general rule, I don't buy anything the first few years they're introduced to the market. In today's economy they're to many established pontoon company's out there who've been making boats for 10, 20 or even 50 or more years. You can feel comfortable that a company doesn't stay in business that long by making junk IMHO.
2007, 2570 Crest LE II
Yamaha F150

jimrs

#5 Post by jimrs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Very few of the 20, 30, up to 50 year old companies are not from where they started. They have all been out of business 2 to 6 times each. It's hard to keep track of where any of them are made or who actually makes them. But this is not just boats it's everything that we used to make. We need to get out of the mindset of brands. They just don't make that much sense anymore.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

cbavier

#6 Post by cbavier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:58 pm

slingshot wrote:I think Berkshire has only been making pontoons for 2 years or so. The mother company is Forest River who's been making RV's and such since 1996. It's funny how the Berkshire web site makes is seem that Berkshire Pontoons have been around since 1996. As a general rule, I don't buy anything the first few years they're introduced to the market. In today's economy they're to many established pontoon company's out there who've been making boats for 10, 20 or even 50 or more years. You can feel comfortable that a company doesn't stay in business that long by making junk IMHO.

Forest River is HUGE and has an excellent reputation in the RV market. So I wouldn't be afraid to consider a pontoon from them. However most smaller Companies are owned by Conglomerates. I still think Individual Quality and if it will meet your need is what is most important. Diameter and Thickness of Tubes, Thickness of Fencing. Stringer Spacing. Quality of Carpet or Vinyl Flooring. Etc. Etc. Quality of furniture and layout. Motor, Trailer all of those plus price must play a factor in your decision making.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

woolznaz

#7 Post by woolznaz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:36 pm

They are not exactly new to pontoons. South Bay is a Forest River Marine company, for example, which is a subsidiary of Berkshire. So, Berkshire (assuming it's the same Berkshire), has been involved in making pontoons for quite some time now.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

goldnrod24

#8 Post by goldnrod24 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Yup. It's Warren Buffet's attempt to corner yet another market. Forest River.... South Bay..... Berkshire, they are all part of Berkshire-Hathaway; WB's holding company. Of course they want you to think they have your best boating interests in mind!!!! :lol3

Don't get hung up on the name or brand. Look for quality and a company track record. If you do, I think you'll trend toward Bennington or Premier.

I shopped SB hard and eventually, they didn't stack up. YMMV.
Randy

My Drinking Team has a Boating Problem!

Friar

#9 Post by Friar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Think your best bet would be to continue to research and shop around - go to boat shows if you can. Personally I don't think anything beats actually seeing and touching the things you are considering buying. By doing so, you will get a "feel" for the quality of workmanship, material, and construction. If your instinct tells you it is good and it meets your desire for floorplan and intended use, go for it. The only consistent pieces of advice I taken from these various forums is consider the total warranty features of the brand you select, consider the dealership's "after-the-sale" responsiveness and finally, go with the biggest horsepower motor you can afford. Good luck and have fun shopping.
2010 Bennington 2275 GFI custom fisher/cruiser
32" ellipitical logs, Yamaha F90
US Army retired (71-96)
Fort Worth, Texas

slingshot

#10 Post by slingshot » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:51 pm

I would have to disagree on the idea of disregarding name brand and length of time in the business. For example, Dodgeramman is looking for input from those who own a Berkshire which is a wise move. Well, nobodies been able to give him the input he needs because there simply isn't that many due to it being such a new company. How long will they last, what's there reputation on honoring their warranties (just because they say they'll cover it doesn't mean they will when the time comes). If he asked for input on Crest, Tracker, Bennington, ect, he'd have ample input from many of us who have owned those brands for many years. Crest currently has boats in the boat trader that are 36 years old and they're still making them and have never gone out of business to the best of my knowledge.
2007, 2570 Crest LE II
Yamaha F150

goldnrod24

#11 Post by goldnrod24 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:04 pm

slingshot wrote:Crest currently has boats in the boat trader that are 36 years old and they're still making them and have never gone out of business to the best of my knowledge.
Actually, Crest went under last year and they have a new owner as of the 2011 line. It's just a part of being in the boat business. Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug!
Randy

My Drinking Team has a Boating Problem!

slingshot

#12 Post by slingshot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:07 am

Crest never, "went under". It was sold to another company. All remains the same as to employees, factory, facilities and such. They did halt production for a little while due to the sluggish economy but never filed for protection or officially went tits up. In fact there are 2010, 2009, 2008 models on the market now. 2011 currently being offered. The new owner is keeping everything the same according to the most recent article I read.
2007, 2570 Crest LE II
Yamaha F150

woolznaz

#13 Post by woolznaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:49 am

slingshot wrote:.......Dodgeramman is looking for input from those who own a Berkshire which is a wise move. Well, nobodies been able to give him the input he needs because there simply isn't that many due to it being such a new company......
I can help a little. This might be a little long, but I can tell you my experience. I own the boat in my signature and they are from the same parent company. I did not buy my South Bay new. In fact, it was a bank repo. Despite not being a direct customer of South Bay, and not having a real dealer from whom I bought it, I have been SOOOOOO impressed with South Bay. I can call them directly and they take so much time discussing the boat and answering any questions I have. I bet I was on the phone with one guy there for 45 minutes and he had me walking all over the boat taking things apart, looking at different areas of the boat, explaining how things were built..... it was kind of like a very thorough dealer delivery, only directly with the manufacturer. It was very impressive customer service and keep in mind I bought the boat as a bank repo, not from them or even one of their dealers. You could just tell they pride themselves in excellent "owner service" (remember, I'm not really their customer) and they are very proud of the product they build. We even found a part that was missing and I said, "well, that's kind of expected when you buy a used bank repo". South Bay said: "no, we will not let that stand, I'm going to send you the part at no charge". They did. They also threw in a manual that I did not get. Just a very impressive company in my experience. I've only owned the boat one season, but I could not be more impressed with South Bay as a company. Their pride in their product and their service has been like a throw back to 30 years ago. I wish every company acted like that.

Anyway, I'm sorry that got a little long, but I had to share my experience so far. I hear horror stories in this industry of trying to get service and I thought I would share a good one. It's actually been a great experience each time I've called them -- probably 3 calls. Remember, I did not buy the boat from a dealer, but the manufacturer has been excellent - so good in fact that I have needed to find a dealer. I hope that is helpful.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

JWINK

#14 Post by JWINK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:37 am

68dodgeramman I am interested to know if you ever bought the Berkshire 220CL?
My wife and I just ordered a 2012 220PT, which is almost identical to this boat only instead of 2 forward couchs, it has one on the stern side and 2 swivle/reclining chairs on the port side. Like you, I am finding very little info on this brand of pontoon on this forum. We looked at several types at the Dallas boat show last weekend and this one just stood way out in front of the rest (in the 25-30K price range). It actually "spoke" to me.
So if you did get it, let me know your experiance with it. Thanks

Jeff
Future owner of a 2012 Berkshire 220PT
Lake Ray Hubbard, Texas
Jeff - Proud 2012 Berkshire STS 234PT owner
Lake Ray Hubbard, Texas

Thin Ice

#15 Post by Thin Ice » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 am

68dodgeramman..................... you had me at 115 e-tec!!!!
2009 Suntracker Regency Party Barge 22
2011 Evinrude E-Tec 115 HO
Full Enclosure
Kiskiminetas and Allegheny Rivers