MID RESTO THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS, and a QUESTION

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JV74

MID RESTO THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS, and a QUESTION

#1 Post by JV74 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Hello all......catchy thread title huh. Anyway . yes I am mid resto on a 24ft 1984 Playbuoy Supreme Royal , gotta love that name. She doesnt have a lot of Supreme left but I am doing my best to help her out. First point....If I were to do this again I would have bought a more modern boat with the larger diameter pontoons or even a tri toon. I bought this boat on a whim for $2500 and thought I was doing good. I have good knowledge of boats but I knew nothing about pontoon boats. Another point....if I did my research first and figured what the resto would cost...well maybe I could have just bought a boat that didnt need a resto for about 8 to 10k. I didnt realize there were so many pontoon boats in such good shape for that price point. What happens to me is that I get all caught up in what a bargain an old boat is...and I know I can fix it...and I dont want to spend 8 to 10K thats way too much right? Well then I cant just resto a pontoon boat....it has to have the best of the best......and low and behold if were counting expensive GPS/fish finders.....and very expensive remote control trolling motors........Im now in for 10 freakin K!!!!! I would be cool with that until I learned my pontoons are old school skinny hot dogs vs the new colossal mega toons which ride nice and high. Dont worry about me...I will be fine.
Ok....now for my question. I have 4 of the 6 sheets of fancy marine grade plywood secured to my deck supports via through bolts because screws would spin out too easy in 30yr old deck supports. Yes screws will bite a little...but if u torque em down they will spin out and that is no bueno for me. Oh ya...the question! So I have many many big flat bolt heads counter sunk via a paddle drill bit and they sit below the surface not perfectly flush for a number of reasons. Now I have chosen to fill each bolt void with roofing repair rubber caulk. So picture a paddle bit recess the size of a quarter......and then its drilled through with a drill bit. I first fill the void with the rubber goop then insert the bolt and pound it once with a hammer to bottom it out below flush. I then crawl under the boat with a socket wrench and secure how ever many I have completed. Oh ya...the question!!! Well obviously the rubber goop ooooozes out when I tighten the nut from underneath and I made the decision to cover this quarter sized flat bolt head completely with this rubber goop then swipe across it with a credit card so the goop is now flush with the deck. Are u following me? Is anyone still reading this ramble? SO MY QUESTION.......HERE IT IS........ Do you think the vinyl flooring adhesive will stick to the roofing goop that I am using to cover my bolt heads with???????????????? At first I was purposely letting my saw dust get in the roofing goop because I was thinking hey....maybe the flooring adhesive will like a little wood dust with its roofing goop......which may have been a brilliant idea who knows. I am just afraid that I have a ton of these roof rubber patches on the deck and if the flooring adhesive doesnt stick to it I might have a funny looking floor because I am using 50 mil vinyl vs carpet.
Another point.......I sure wish those deck supports were wider....man that would make the redecking so much easier. As a general rule drilling so close to the edge of any wood to secure it to something is not a great idea.
Ok have u had enough???? I will let you off easy.....
I will include a pic for your viewing please....note I still have more bolts to add to the sheets that are already down.

JV74

Re: MID RESTO THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS, and a QUESTION

#2 Post by JV74 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:57 pm

pontoon 111.jpg
pontoon 111.jpg (511.58 KiB) Viewed 13409 times
hopefully there is pic there...was tricky to post

JV74

#3 Post by JV74 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:03 pm

Wow....didnt realize how awful the neighboring building looks at night in a pic........I am doing this resto in the back parking lot of where I work. Its the only place I could store and work on such a large boat. The lake is 100 miles away so this is my only option. The neighboring building is just a Chinese Restaurant and a night club of some kind but it looks terrible because someone got a little messy with the trash back there. Man I think I had way too much caffeine today.....I cant stop rambling about nothing!!!!!!
good night!

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:05 am

:tassles

No idea BUT...I did read it all :mrgreen:

I don't know if it will stick, problem I see is when you roll glue on, layout cover and roller it....will you have air pockets at each one of them that will stick up and tear :donno
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

JV74

#5 Post by JV74 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:38 am

I will give u full credit for reading my mega ramble. Yes that is what I am kinda worried about....air pockets. In many situations a caulk...adhesive....paint...or whatever will off gas and thus nothing will stick to it, I am thinking this tar like rubber stuff might be one of those off gas type of chemicals :( I will give it some time, maybe a few days in the blazing sun to let it off gas before I install the vinyl but from my experience an off gaser is an off gaser......it might stick fine the day of install then bubble up later. At that point I will have to drill a small hole in the vinyl to let the gas escape. Man o man...talk about not thinking something through before u do it. I like over kill so I thought sealing the bolts would be a good idea. I also used the rubber caulk on every deck support.....oh well we shall see.

bansil

#6 Post by bansil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:32 pm

I have those issues as well....luckily I just blame it on beer :mrgreen:
:bier :beerthought :drunks :drink3 :givebeer

JV74

#7 Post by JV74 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Good idea!!!!

TWB

#8 Post by TWB » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:20 am

bansil wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:32 pm

I have those issues as well....luckily I just blame it on beer :mrgreen:
:bier :beerthought :drunks :drink3 :givebeer
Overkill? Or off-gassing? :fyou :lol3
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

bansil

#9 Post by bansil » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:37 am

:donno
What ever it takes :alright

:mrgreen:

steve1313

#10 Post by steve1313 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:14 am

Whew! I got tired just reading your first post, but I read all of it, too. Ya might want to add an empty line or so between paragraphs just to make it easier to read. But now on to answering your question...…

Take a small piece of your scrap wood, drill a hole like you've described, fill it with your roof goop, let it cure for a few days. Then take a sample of whatever adhesive you're going to use, and a small piece of your vinyl and glue it down to see if it sticks. Then you'll know for sure what you're working with! Good luck!
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

bansil

#11 Post by bansil » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:20 am

Steve we have no place for true bonified experiments here :P

Good idea :thumbsup

:mrgreen:

rbt.mckeever

#12 Post by rbt.mckeever » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:29 am

I too read the entire post! good information.

TAC81

#13 Post by TAC81 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:13 am

I agree with the experiment post. From my limited experience, flooring adhesive will stick to damn near anything and also stick very well. Let the deck sit in the sun for a week or so to thoroughly dry the goop and then give it hell. Worst case you poke a small hole in the bubble and move on.

Motor7

#14 Post by Motor7 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Since that adhesive is designed for wood, I would have used a wood filler to cover the void. Still no guarantee the glue would stick, so testing that too is a good idea.
1987 28' Sun Tracker Party Hut pontoon

bansil

#15 Post by bansil » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:11 pm

so.....what happened :donno